WHAT IS IT?
- Moving up to the next highest degree
- An individual opportunity
- Each member should accept progression as she becomes qualified
- Members are encouraged to progress within 1 year of their eligibility
- Members are encouraged to progress to an EXISTING higher degree chapter; however, the rules have been made more flexible in recent years. Members can now progress and remain in the same chapter in which they have been active. Each member does have the CHOICE -- of progressing to an existing chapter of a higher degree or receiving the higher degree and remaining where she is.
WHY IS IT? WHY HAVE DIFFERENT DEGREES?
- Growth ... not in numbers, but growth in Stature
(your personal level of attainment) Spirit
- Need ... we each have a need to GROW, EXPAND, BROADEN & DEEPEN OUR SPIRIT.
The spirit of Beta Sigma Phi is a forward-looking way of life.
>>>Before Walter Ross, our Founder, formed Beta Sigma Phi, he was a representative for the Grolier Publishing Society & visited many women's organizations to enlist their support in convincing schools to purchase the Book of Knowledge (similar to encyclopedias). Mr. Ross asked them what they did not like/enjoy about their various organizations. The two most frequent responses were:
- The same people always ran the show
- Club seemed to stagnate after a period of time
Mr. Ross wanted to combat these two negative aspects with a positive approach. That is why we have Progression! [This, of course, gives credence to the importance of electing NEW OFFICERS each year; appointing NEW COMMIITEE CHAIRMEN; using the MEMBER INTEREST SURVEY to gather suggestions/ideas from EACH member in the chapter!]
PHILOSOPHY BEHIND PROGRESSION
- Progression is PROGRESS! (development/improvement of heart & mind)
It's like the difference between 10 years of experience and 1 year of experience 10 times over.
With the one you grow. With the other you grow older!
PRACTICALITY OF PROGRESSION
- Individual chapter strength
- Part of the structure of our organization
It must be preserved and protected. If we don't do it, who will? That is part of our responsibility as members. Our chapters belong to those of us who ... WORK FOR THEM ... CHANGE THEM ... CHARGE THEM WITH ENERGY!
"WE ARE BOUND IN A UNION OF UNBROKEN STRENGTH" -- from the Pledge Ritual
WE ARE ALL PART OF UNBROKEN 'STREAM OF FRIENDSHIP'! Down the 'stream of Friendship' is where I found LUCY LOBSTER. This is what she has to share with you about PROGRESSION, and about why we are encouraged to "LOBSTER" into Progression.
L ("LOBSTER") [GROW, RISK, PROGRESS]
Life doesn't always wait for us to be ready for changes we experience & it can be frightening! If we wait until we feel completely ready, most of us would NEVER BE completely ready for any change...& would go nowhere. Change must often be thrust upon us if we are to take advantage of it. PROGRESSION is one of those changes we aren't always ready for. We're often comfortable with the status quo. "L 0 B S T E R I N G" will allow us to become more than we are!
O (OPENNESS, OBJECTIVITY, OBLIGATION, OPPORTUNITY)
- Be open with your heart & mind to strengthening your own circle of Friendship.
- Be objective to the purpose of progression.
- Realize we each have an obligation to progress as we become eligible.
- Most important, recognize the individual opportunity for YOU to OPEN new doors for others, as well as yourself!
- If members opt to progress into existing higher degree chapters, there will be a widening and strengthening of their Circle of Friendship.
- Opportunities of sharing Beta Sigma Phi with new members
- Growing as a member in a higher degree
- If members choose to receive the higher degree for which they have qualified and remain in their current chapter, they must be ever mindful and make an effort to grow in stature.
- Additional cultural enrichment
- Continual growth in leadership abilities via committee, office and program work
- Increased knowledge of the Good, True and Beautiful
- Opportunities to practice and improve human relations and communication skills
- Broader understanding of the Spirit of Sisterhood
- A beautiful and tremendous opportunity to share with SISTERS OF THE HEART -- (use the International theme here...)
S (SHARING SISTERHOOD)
- Sharing the Dream of Beta Sigma Phi with one another
- 'Lobstering' adds dimension to Sisterhood!
- For those members choosing to progress into an existing higher degree chapter, remember that we don't forget or lose friends we leave behind. If they are really our friends, they won't get lost or no longer be our friends! They'll still be there for us! And, YOU will be there for them. Think of a high school or college senior. Is that senior going to stay around simply because she has a friend who isn't ready yet to graduate, who isn't at the same place at the same time she is? None of us would expect that. Her friend would most likely be the first to tell her to move on, to progress. You aren't leaving anyone behind. Actually, you are PAVING THE WAY FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW! We need to hold on to the thought that those members in your current chapter will one day be progressing too. And, there you'll be --- ready to welcome them! "ILLUME OUR SOULS WITH THY WISDOM THAT WE IN TURN MAY LIGHT THE WAY FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW US." It is a continuous stream . . .
- Progressing when you become eligible is a Beta Sigma Phi TRADITION!
- If opting to progress into a higher degree chapter, there is a beautiful tradition of replacing yourself when you progress.
- Also, if deciding to go to a chapter of a higher degree for which you have become eligible, time is an important element. Planning and coordination with all chapters is required. This can be most effectively done via City Council Membership Coordinating Committee. What is important is that your intent be known.
E (ENTHUSIASIM!!!) ***my personal favorite!***
- A "must" regardless of what you do!
- Our enthusiastic support of Beta Sigma Phi and progression enables ALL chapters to make room for new growth.
- It's up to us to make an ENTHUSIASTIC EFFORT!
- REALIZE it is your RESPONSIBILITY to 'de-shell'; to REVITALIZE our membership and REAP the REWARDS of Life, Learning and Friendship.
- We are challenged to grow individually and collectively through our emphasis on Life, Learning and Friendship There are no constraints - except the limitations we give ourselves.
PROGRESSION can be ... exciting! Inspiring! Rewarding!!! It requires effort. Its fruits are a constant development and improvement of character ... heart ... mind. It is individual PROGRESS.
I HEAR AND I FORGET. I SEE AND I REMEMBER. I DO AND I UNDERSTAND!
|BOTTOM LINE: YOU CAN NOW PROGRESS WHEN YOU BECOME ELIGIBLE AND STAY IN YOUR CURRENT CHAPTER. OR, YOU CAN STILL PROGRESS AS BEFORE. NOTHING HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY. FLEXIBILTY HAS BEEN ADDED FOR YOU, THE MEMBER.